Length of time corresponding to the duration of an event or a position on a time scale.
These two aspects of the concept of period are used in mathematics, as shown in the examples below.
- A lease can be granted for a period of two years, that is, for a duration of two years.
- The period of a decimal sequence is a sequence of numbers that repeats indefinitely.
- The period of a sinusoidal wave is the length of a complete cycle of the wave.
- The holiday period usually provides a break in the school calendar. In this case, it is a position within a time period.
- The amortization period of a loan at a given interest rate depends on the number of scheduled repayments.