Elements of information, often numerical, that serve as a point of departure for a statistical study.
Statistical data can be numerical data or alphanumeric data.
- Raw data are data that have not yet been sorted.
- In a statistical distribution, an inconsistent element is a value that differs significantly from the main group of data (or cluster). An inconsistent element is not representative of the set of data in the distribution.
- Data analysis is a branch of statistics that has been developed over many years thanks to advances in computer science. The methods aim to identify the parameters that are characteristic of a very large number of data collected, for example during statistical inquiries such as censuses and surveys of populations, or following the collection of meteorological data over a long period and a very large area.
- We asked 30 students in a class how many children there were in their families. The raw data collected were: 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 1, 4, 2, 3, 1, 2, 2, 3, 1, 1, 4, 20, 2, 1, 3, 2, 2 ,3, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 3, 1.
- In this set of raw data, the value 20 is an inconsistent datum.