Value that has the greatest frequency in the distribution of a discrete quantitative characteristic.
The symbol for mode is “Mod” which is read as “mode”.
- The mode is a measure of central tendency.
- A distribution can have several modes.
- A distribution in which all of the values have the same frequency does not have a mode.
- In the case of a distribution of values into classes of equal amplitude, the modal class refers to the one that has the greatest frequency.
Consider this distribution of data: 2, 2, 5, 8, 10, 10, 10, 10, 15, 16, 22.
- The mode of this distribution is 10. Therefore, we write: Mod = 10.