- One kilogram is equivalent to about 2.204 622 62 pounds.
- One kilogram is equivalent to the mass of one litre of pure water at 4°C.
- The expression “1 kg” is read as “one kilogram.
- One kilogram is equivalent to 1000 grams and we write: 1 kg = 1000 g.
- Charlie’s father weighs 75 kg.
- The mass of a certain car is 1750 kg.
The word “kilogram” is formed by the prefix “kilo” from the ancient Greek word χίλιοι (chílioi) meaning “thousand” and the word “gram” from the ancient Greek γράμμα (grámma) meaning “a small weight.” The kilogram is the only SI unit that has a prefix.